Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Goodbye 2016 - Some Positive Reflections on a Shitty Year



I have been very vocal about my dislike for 2016, perhaps a little too vocal....that is if you believe in the Law of Attraction. I didn't want to start off a brand new year with so much negativity in my mind, and felt that in order for it to be the GREAT year I am manifesting it to be, I had to find some positive points to 2016. It couldn't have all been that bad could it? That's when I realized something: 2015 was a tough year for me too. I was diagnosed with an incurable autoimmune disease and got into a major car accident. Two years of negativity is enough for me, I have worked DAMN hard on myself and it can't have all been for nothing. It didn't take me long to realize three powerful truths about 2016:

1) while 2015 may have been the year of diagnosis and intense pelvic pain - 2016 was the year of healing and discovery. I dedicated myself to regular physiotherapy and overhauled my diet, while working on reducing my stress levels. The result? Simply taking all gluten out of my diet has left me PAIN FREE for the past 6-8 months. That is huge guys! Eliminating gluten and reducing stress has lowered my bodies inflammatory response so much that I no longer live in daily pain. I am knocking on wood as I type this, but I am feeling confident that I have found a key to pain management for years to come. Also, as an added bonus, it no longer takes me over an hour to fall asleep! With gluten out of my body I fall asleep faster and rarely need the aid of any sleep aids. So yay to that!

2) in early 2016 it was discovered that my liver was stressed and causing me symptoms such as fatigue, nausea, and headaches (to name a few) for no known medical reason. I saw many Drs, some of whom told me it was all in my head even though lab results, symptoms, and regular note taking said otherwise. I learned to stand up for myself and demand better care, to be my own health advocate, and to take charge of what I put in and on my body. I still don't really know what is going on but this discovery has led me to eat better, drink less alcohol and more water, and eliminate toxins from my house, body and environment. I make more informed choices then ever before...and as someone who worked in the natural health care field for years I felt I was already fairly well informed. One can never stop learning it turns out.

3) in talking with my husband I realized that despite two very difficult and challenging years - and a lifelong battle with mental health issues - my moods had never been more stable. While I am sure they have happened, I would have to think very hard to try to recall any moments of anxiety. I still suffer from a tendency towards the blues, but its not full on depression anymore and I talk more about my emotions/feelings/thoughts and therefore get over my blue periods faster and come out of them a stronger woman then before.

So was 2016 a hard year? Yes. Not just for me but for my family as well. Its had many ups and downs but despite them all I have learned a lot and grown even more. So thank you for your painfully hard lessons 2016, you maybe could've been a little less bitchy about it...but I got the message and I am ready to charge into 2017 with a new set of life skills.

Peace, love, and pickles
Kami

No comments:

Post a Comment