Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sad News...

So I hadn't said anything because, well, I think I was in denial...but my cat Spitz has been loosing a lot of weight. She was always a BIG girl, nearly 20 pounds! That is a lot of cat. Those of you who know her, know that she was a hefty pile of squishy BUT HEALTHY, love. Well she started loosing weight. It started slow, but it began to gradually come off faster. Then one day the drool came. Her name is Spitz, because she would drool when you pet her. This isn't a little drool though. This was a FLOOD, and she was soaking through my pants, or the bed sheets, or wherever she was resting.Then came, this is hard to even type...then came the blood. I noticed the other day some blood on her fur. I searched her body and couldn't find a single scratch, and then I realized it was coming from her mouth. The hyper drool was now tinged red and I knew something was wrong. The vet found a mass under her tongue, a really big one. It would appear that as she tries to eat her kibble, she bites down on this mass and it bleeds. There is a slim chance it could be simply an infection, but the vet doubts that given that Spitz is about 16 years old. They gave her some antibiotics saying if that clears it up in a couple days then that is all it was. It hasn't cleared it up. The mass is still there, and she is still drooling heavily. I have her on wet food now, and am to give her pain killers twice a day. If we can keep her comfortable, and keep her eating then we have some time. When the eating stops a decision will have to be made. I leave tomorrow for our very first family vacation and I feel like a HORRIBLE cat mommy for going. She will be with my parents, who live with us, so she doesn't have to go anywhere. I know she will be well loved and well cared for. BUT I feel awful and guilty for going away....but at this point there is nothing I can do for her. I just hope and pray that she doesn't take a turn for the worst while I am gone. Please say a little prayer that my Spitz, my best friend, stays comfortable and content while we are gone so that Ryan and I can make the finally decision together (he is in LA right now and I fly there to meet him).


4 comments:

  1. Oh Kami I'm so sorry :( I hope she gets better, or at least stays stable til you get back. Sending you hugs and good vibes! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Kami, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty! I would be so sad! I hope she gets better!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a sweet little furball... I hope she stays stable while you are away; I'm sure her life has been full of love thus far. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete