Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tutorial: Home made Doggie Treats!

Hello, Searching for Serendipity readers!  I am thrilled to be guest posting here for all of you while Kami rests up and takes care of her new little one! My usual home is over at The Scarlet Cardinal where I write about my life in Philadelphia, and my thoughts on life. 

Since actual human babies aren't in the picture for me yet, I focus a lot of attention on my furball, Louie. No, I don't dress him up in sweater vests and bow ties, (at least not in public), but I do love to spoil him and the key to any dog's heart is through his stomach. 

There are great recipes for homemade dog treats all over the web, and so today you get my version of Frozen Peanut Butter Treats for your pooch.  Since the weather in Philly has been pretty warm lately, the frozen treats are great to cool off any canine.

Ingredients:

2c. Plain Yogurt (Vanilla is ok too)


1 c. Creamy Peanut Butter


1/2 apple finely diced


2 tsp. honey



Combine the yogurt and peanut butter in a bowl.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until the peanut butter starts to soften.  Stir mixture until smooth. 





While the yogurt and peanut butter is getting all hot and bothered in the micro, peel your apple.  That is, if your dog is a picky eater and refuses to eat apple skin then definitely peel it.  If you have a normal dog, then don't worry about it.  Seriously--Louie will eat all manner of nastiness but turns his nose up at apple skin.  I think this is the universe's way of preparing me for all the crusts I will be cutting of my future children's PB&J sammy's. 







Anyhoo, dice that apple up and throw it into your smooth mixture along with the honey, and combine well.  (Eat the other half as a reward for being such an awesome doggy mama!) This should yield enough to fill about 2 ice cube trays, so just spoon the mix into the wells and pop them into the freezer for about 4 hours.



Yum! Yum! Yum! Frozen doggy treat heaven!

Licking of the chops

Laugh as your dog  chases it around your tile floor and pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You can substitute or add all kinds of yummy things depending on what your dog likes.  Louie happens to go crazy for apples, plus it adds nice texture and crunch to the treats.  I've also used shredded carrots and grated cheese.  I suppose bacon would also work if you had some left over from a particularly yummy brunch. So go forth and create for your pooch!  Thanks again for having me!



Click below to vote for this blog on Top Baby Blogs! No sign up needed,
just a simple click to vote! Thank you so very much xoxoxo
Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for this! I'm always looking for new treats to try for my pups. Can't wait to test this one out :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked the recipe! You'll have to let me know how your pups like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooohhh my girl Chloe is going to love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! will be passing this on to friends for sure. wish i had a cute pup to serve these treats too!

    ReplyDelete