Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm a Corn Star: A Guest Post by Lady Estrogen!



Kami approached me on that Twitter thingy to do a guest post – to “spice up” things. Whoa! No pressure now! I’ll see what I can do. She gave me the question: How do I maintain my personality and passion while raising two sons? (I’m now twisting my imaginary waxed handlebar moustache as I ponder this question.)

*crickets*
I had to think about it for a couple days – and I’ve finally been able to draw some conclusions with a single common denominator – it’s the little things.

My Ride
Suddenly having to haul around 2 babies with 2 car seats, a double stroller and all its attachments... in addition to my 2 dogs meant I had to trade in my funky Matrix hatchback for a giant Sienna “loser cruiser”. Sigh. It was sad at first, but after I put my pink hibiscus steering wheel cover, a Rip Curl sticker and plugged in my iPod, it felt more like ‘me’. 

On the outside, it may be a friggin’ beast of a vehicle, but once I’m inside, it’s now my traveling oasis. And, it fits EVERYTHING. I don’t know why some women, especially with multiples, try to fight the inevitable, thinking that if they get a minivan, they’ll lose their “edge” – it’s really not worth the stress. I’ve learned that “edge” is a state of mind.

My Time
The hours after the boys go to bed and before I go to bed are MY hours – usually 2, sometimes more. Every mother should take these for herself – it’s key to maintaining both sanity and individuality. It’s when I do all the things I want to do, not the things I have to do.

I blog.
Read.
Design.
Paint.
Sex. Blog More
Unwind.
Period.
Tomorrow, I’ll do the dishes and the laundry.

My Style
The busier I get, the less time I have to invest in my ‘self expression’ and I’ll admit, some personal grooming details suffer, but there are certain aspects I WILL NOT compromise on – particularly accessories. A good necklace can add flare to any plain jeans & t-shirt ensemble. Screw that “my baby will grab it” bull crap – get a snake chain – those buggers are meant to last. 

Even though money is always tight, every now and then, I ‘splurge’ on a dumb item of junk jewellery or clothing – never anything more than $30. These things fuel my warped sense of humor and I can run off those stinky fumes for months. The last thing I bought was a t-shirt that said Corn Star when I was in Indianapolis on business. It still makes me giggle.

My mother saw it recently and hung her head in shame, “I thought now that YOU are a mother, you would have grown out of that by now.”

Nope, mother, you are mistaken. I’ll never be too old for a good Corn Star joke. Never.
Conclusion
My little things are keeping me balanced – especially on the days that I fell will NEVER end, due to tantrums, tag-team vomiting, etc, etc.  When it does finally end, I re-group and re-charge my Lady Estrogen batteries. A funky steering wheel, good tunes, ridiculous kitsch, and 2 hours a day to myself and I’m good to go.

My husband has no freaking clue how lucky he’s truly got it.



Adventures in Estrogen





Click below to vote for this blog on Top Baby Blogs! No sign up needed, just a simple click to vote! 
Thank you so very much xoxoxo
Click To Vote For Us @ Top Baby Blogs Directory!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Lady Estrogen! Love this post. I am in agreement with the time thingy. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I take those MY HOURS everyday as well, otherwise I would have already gone crazy!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. Lady E is my idol!

    ReplyDelete