Sunday, May 29, 2011

Art Can Heal The Soul

As many of you know I have a soft spot in my heart for women's issues. Having a degree in women's studies has opened my eyes to a variety of issues and concerns that I will continue to fight for until my very last breath. I am not as politically active as I once was, and now with a babe I certainly don't have much spare time, but having a daughter has re-inspired me to fight for the rights of marginalized women and children. Some of my wonderful girlfriends are still out there actively fighting the good fight and they keep me filled in on important issues and events, which brings me to the topic of today's post! A local women's centre is currently trying to win a $25,000 grant from the Keg Steakhouse to create an arts based healing and mentorship program. The arts are very dear to me for obvious reasons, so in combination with at-risk women this cause seemed like it was meant to fall in my lap! And all I need from you all is a simple click to vote.

The program, run by the Nanaimo Womens Resource Society, aims to unite homeless and at risk women/youth/girls who with professional artists from their community. The artists are inspired individuals who can act as mentors to homeless/at risk women and girls who don’t always have an opportunity to use the arts as an expressive form.

Art for me has always been a powerfully healing tool, something that I can grab on to when times are tough, something that is MINE and allows me to express myself when words fail me. My crafts have literally saved my life and kept me sane, and as a teenage run away it was drawing and photography that got me through. I truly feel this program has the potential to empower and inspire women to want better, to know they DESERVE better, and help them find their voice.

You can Read more about the grant and project here, as well as click to vote. You will not get any spam from this, but do require an email for confirmation purposes. Please help!




No comments:

Post a Comment