Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Learning About Sage: Part One

Some of you know that I am in the process of moving into our first HOUSE! Very exciting (albeit stressful) times for this little family of three. Our current home is lovely, but sadly we have outgrown it and need more room for Claire to run and play. Neither Ryan nor I have lived in a house of our own before, so this is very exciting! A big step up from basement suites and apartment rentals. This move symbolizes a lot for me: a fresh start. It reminds me of when we picked up all of our pieces and moved halfway across the country to a city I had never even been too, Toronto. That was the scariest decision we ever made as a couple and it turned out to be one of the best. I am hoping this step will be the same.

I am however a much more spiritualy inclined person then I was back then, and I want to start of on the right foot. Our first month in Toronto was pure and utter HELL, we were really put through a lot of tests and trials. To help ease this transition for the sake of my sanity (which at times is questionable) and Claire's happiness I have decided to 'bless' our new house by doing a smudge ceremony.

For those of you that don't know, smudge is basically a bundle of sage, tied together, dried, and then lit on fire to a slow smoulder. Its sweet smelling smoke is used by First Nations people to cleanse away negativity and evil spirits: be it a persons body or a sacred space. I'm not really one to follow anyting to strictly, I kind of like to do things my own way so I have made up a Kamika version to meet my needs.

The first step in this process is to gather herbs from my garden, of course sage, but I have also decided to use some lavender for its peaceful and calming affect. Theses herbs are currently laying out in the sun getting all nice and warm and blessed by the suns rays before I bundle them into a smudge stick.



I will post a little tutorial on how to make your own one soon

Many blessings,

Kami

No comments:

Post a Comment