Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday Ink: Katelyn of Peace, Love, and Leener


I am so excited to introduce you all to an amazing woman, fantastic blogger, and one hell of a funny craftinista chica: KATELYN! I still remember the day this lovely lady randomly sent me a friend request on Facebook and I am so glad she did because I love reading her posts, SHE CRACKS ME UP! And she has a heart of gold, you really should stop by her wonderful blog and pay her a visit. And guess what? She recently announced that she is pregnant, I swear its in the freaking drinking water!!!! Bloggers are getting knocked up left, right, and center! But seriously stop by and congratulate her

 

1) How Many tattoos do you have and what are they of?  I have three tattoos so far. My first was on my hip of a song lyric personal to me written in greek. The second is two stars and a bible verse on my foot. The third that I just recently got is a matryoshka doll on my rib cage which is still unfinished. I got it right before I got pregnant so now, since I am 4 weeks pregnant I will have to wait a bit to get it finished.

2) Where did you get them done, who were the tattoo artists? The first one I got done at my Aunt’s house. She had her tattoo artist friend, Jessie, and his tattoo artist brother come over for the day and a ton of my family and family friends were over getting tattoos. It’s a personal one on my hip plus it has been ruined by stretch marks from my first daughter so I’d rather not show it. ;) Definitely think HARD about placement of tattoos if you plan to have kids sometime in the future. I should’ve put more thought into this at the time but it still means the same to me, clean lines or not. The second one I got done at a tattoo shop in Canyon Country, CA while out visiting family and friends after we moved to Louisiana. I don’t remember his name sadly. He was very nice knowing I was very nervous getting it on my foot. My advice for foot tattoos are make sure your shoes won’t rub, AT ALL, any part of your tattoo for a good week after you get it done, at least. I ended up going to Disneyland a few days after getting this one and as you can see it says Philipians 7:14-16...not 2:14-16 anymore. ;) My third I got done by Brian Johnson in Austin, TX who was recommended by my good friend Laura Mazurek of Violet Bella. I love her tattoos and knew he’d be exactly the right artist for the job!

3) Did you enjoy the process? I don’t mind it, but I don’t enjoy it. With the foot, it was nothing. With the hip, I got a little queasy, having to stop in the middle of the 10 minute tattoo to eat something so I wouldn’t throw up on the guy. ALWAYS eat beforehand. I learned that one the hard way my first time around. For the one on my rib, oh hell no. I didn’t enjoy that one AT ALL. hah That one is a beast. I turned into super sailor, cussing a ton, when I hardly ever do in general. I love it though and it is totally worth it. I hit my breaking point that night however so I will have to go back for the rest of the color.

4) Why did you get your tattoos? What stories do they tell, what do they represent to you? The one on my hip is representative of my husband. The verse I picked for my foot is, “Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.”
I think far too often we just complain more than uplift. It’s a constant reminder to me to always look for the positive in life. There is ALWAYS positive.


My matryoshka doll is representative of little Leena. When I first laid eyes on her after giving birth my first thought was, “My little babooshka.” The nesting doll represents family and protection of that. I’ve always had a special place in my heart for them and they remind me of Leena so so much. The ears were added to capture Leena’s love for animals, particularly bunnies and the lollipop represents her innocence. It was drawn by the lovely Kim-Ahn Nyugen. (http://kimanhnguyenart.blogspot.com/)

5) Do you want to get more I have at least 2 more tattoos I want to get. It is true what they say about tattoos being addictive! I have learned to take more time to think about actual design of each tattoo. I wish I would have put a bit more thought into my first two tattoos, just to suit the design of them more towards my taste but I don’t regret getting them at all.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Katelyn is awesome :) I like her tattoos. That is a wonderful bible verse! And the doll on her rib cage is adorable. Thanks for the featuring, it was a good read for my morning cup-o-decaf-joe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love katelyn's tats! especially the new one! cant wait to see it all colored in... too bad we have to wait so long, but for a good reason! im super happy my tattoo artist gave her such great ink, Brian is the best! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the blog!! ANd your rib Tat2 (I did) looks pretty cool, even though its not finished..
    I hope to see you in say 9 or 10 months...
    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete